ABOUT ATHLETIC TRAINING
Athletic Training involves individuals who are Healthcare professionals that render service or treatment to athletes. As a part of the healthcare team, Athletic Trainers (AT’s) provide services which include injury and illness prevention, wellness promotion and education, emergency care, examination and clinical diagnosis, therapeutic intervention, and rehabilitation of injuries and medical conditions. Athletic Trainers are nationally certified and state licensed primary healthcare providers.
In 1995 when Barbara Goleman Senior High was opened, Seth H. Fogler, MS Ed, LAT was hired as the full-time Certified Athletic Trainer (AT). Seth is a 1984 M-DCPS Alumnus from Miami Sunset Senior High. He has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Athletic Training from Barry University he attained in 1989. He completed his Masters of Science in Physical Education with an emphasis in Sport Administration in 2001. During and before Seth’s time at Barbara Goleman Senior High he has acquired an extensive background in High School, College, and Professional Athletics. His experience includes National Championship Football, National Championship Soccer, Professional Baseball, Soccer, and Tennis, as well as many other venues.
During his time, he created an Athletic Training Program that provides the highest quality of healthcare for all Gator Athletes at Barbara Goleman Senior High School. He does this with the help of students that are involved in the Gator HS Student Athletic Training Club, Barry University Athletic Training Student Interns, and by continuing a close relationship with Miami Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Institute (MOSMI). The MOSMI staff are nationally and internationally renowned orthopedic surgeons, sports orthopedic and pediatric orthopedic specialists.
Vision, Mission, Values
- Our Vision
- To provide the student athletes of Barbara Goleman Senior High School with the highest quality of healthcare available to allow them to continue athletic participation for life and sports
- Our Mission
- To deliver Athletic and Sports Medicine Services through the most ethical and professional way possible
- Our Values
- To inspire trust with all our student athletes & coaches through service in a professional manner while pursuing excellence
Athletic Training Forms
- Gator Athletics Student Athlete Information Packet Form FM 3439 (Rev 6/23/21)
- The Student Athlete Information Packet is a PDF that can be filled in and printed from this link. You can also pick one up from your coach or the Athletic Training Room, 9-125, after school.
- The Pre-Participation Physical is required to participate in athletics must be performed after June 30th of the current school year, unless they are completed at the school.
- All packets when completed with all signatures should only be turned in to the Athletic Training Room after school until 2:45PM and 24 hours prior to the student’s first practice.
- Required Athletic Training Policies
- All students electing to participate in any type of athletic team must read the following document.
- Injury Medical Referral Form
- If a student was injured while participating in Goleman Athletics and was seen or needs to be seen by a physician.
- General Medical Clearance Form
- If a student was injured outside of Goleman Athletic Participation and was seen or needs to be seen by a physician.
- FHSAA AT18 Page 1
- After sustaining a suspected concussion an evaluation and examination by an AHCP must be done and completed on Form AT18 Part 1
- FHSAA AT18 Page 2
- An AHCP is required complete Form AT18 Part 2 after completion of a step-wise protocol as defined by FHSAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC) A written medical clearance from an AHCP is required for return to full competition. Form AT18 pages 1 & 2 Parts 3 & 4 must be completed.
- **Concussion in Sports-What You Need to Know**
- To be in accordance with the FHSAA requirement to view the NFHS FREE course go to the link and create a student account.
- Within your ‘Dashboard’ click on ‘My Courses – Distribution – Active’ then click ‘Begin Course’
- On completion of the course click ‘Download Certificate’ and then print the completion certificate and turn it into Mr. Flinchum, Athletic Director, in room 8-123.
- **HEAT ILLNESS PREVENTION**
- For current and up-to-date information on proper hydration in athletics recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC)
- **Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports**
- For current and up-to-date information on concussions in athletics recommended by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- **Required “Heads Up” Video**
- All students wishing to participate in football are required to view the “Heads Up” Video
- **E:60 explores Preston Plevretes’ life after tragedy**
- Preston Plevretes, a football player for LaSalle University, had his life changed forever by second–impact syndrome.
- **Helmut Warning Memo**
- All students wishing to participate in football are required to read this memo.
- There are other informative courses for students and parents by the NFHS and they can be viewed by visiting the site.
- With DragonFlyMax athletes, parents, and coaches will receive real-time notifications about athlete injuries from the athletic trainer, as well as other important information from coaches and staff.
- Enter our Team Code of: ZCAWH2. Make sure to enter the correct role for you (i.e. – Athlete or Parent).